Saturday, April 28, 2012

SOUL FAT / ENCOURAGE THYSELF: PART TWO

Praise the Lord! I pray everyone is being blessed by God real Good. As always I thank God for the privilege of being used by Him to write this blog for the people of God. In my last post "Christian! encourage Thyself!" I said that we would next go into how we go about cultivating a personal relationship with God.

I love the Lord. I love Him because of what He did for me. I was a crack head nurse, sleeping on benches at the Staten Island ferry Terminal at night and working during the day, borrowing money from my fellow "bench warmers" in order to get to work and clean my uniforms. The only way to get out of a hole that deep is to give your life to Jesus Christ, One day I broke down and did just that. Once I gave my life to Christ I developed an insatiable thirst for Gods word. I read it day and night and the words seemed to jump off the page and I couldn't put it down.

If you don't get excited over Gods word like that then ask Him to give you an excitement and a hunger for His word. Isaiah 55:2 states
2Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.
All my life I chased that dream of living the "good life" I had a great profession, money and woman, but my soul had a hole in it that nothing could fill except God and His word. I stopped chasing that which was not bread and began a journey into Gods word that would make my soul fat and my soul delighted in it's fatness. I carried my bible everywhere I went, I ate with it and slept with it. People made fun of me saying "you just gave up one addiction for another" I responded by saying "I'd rather be addicted to Gods word than to crack!"
When you are rooted in Gods word you have something to stand on, you can't be moved by false doctrine or tricks of the enemy. Jesus used the word to fight off the Devil in Matthew 4:1-11 of course Jesus Is the word. What ever situation you find yourself in there is scripture that can help you get through it. As you study Gods word you began to take on some of His attributes. 1st Corinthians 2: 15+16
15But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.
Can you imagine? We have the mind of Christ, by His spirit and His word. Another thing we need to have that Jesus had is His prayer life. In order to have a close personal relationship with God we have to have an active prayer life, we, like Jesus need to spend quality time talking to the Father in prayer.
Matthew 6:6 states  
6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

As you read the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John you will see where Jesus often retreated off by himself to pray. In prayer He found strength, direction and comfort. Philippians 4: 6+7
6Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
The bible also says we are to 
17Pray without ceasing. 1st. Thessalonians 5:17

Prayer is the corner stone of having a relationship with God. It is a solid foundation to build on. As I work on my physical weight problem through bible study and prayer I work on my spiritual weight problem. Soul Fat is the only Fat ordained by God. God bless you and good eating!
                                                                         Brother Darrell, A Watchman

No comments: