Thursday, July 17, 2014

"...HIS CHILDREN", PART 3: TALKING THE TALK AND WALKING THE WALK

Praise the Lord everybody!! because He alone is worthy to be praised! As always I pray everyone is enjoying God's blessing. God blessed me and my wife last week. We were able to go to church last week for the first time in six months. We  went to Wednesday afternoon's "Hour of Power" because it is a Short service and that is all my sciatica can tolerate right now, it may have only been an hour but God showed up in full power. We were truly blessed and we are believing God for a healing that allows me to go and enjoy a full Sunday service without pain.

In my last post "I know why God calls us His children, part 2: Bar Mitzvah" I talked about coming into the age of accountability where I had to learn there was a price to be paid for disobedience and sin. I talked about how God saved me and cleaned me up and discipled me and gave me a hunger and thirst after His righteousness. He also gave me a love for His word and a gift that allowed me to have knowledge beyond my years in Christ. But some things have to be LEARNED by experience.

As a babe in Christ I studied the Bible all day long at Timothy House, there was no television or movie watching allowed not even the News. I carried my Bible everywhere I went and even studied while eating meals and I loved it. I could quote scripture and "scripture whip" with the best of them. Raining down scripture on anybody who happened to "step out of line" in my presence. bringing down my own instant judgement. I knew how to talk scripture but had trouble walking scripture.

In Hebrews 5: 8+9 it says,     8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

This scripture is talking about Jesus, how He "learned" obedience by the things He suffered. You might ask "Why would God who is all knowing and who made everything have to learn anything?" Jesus says in John 8:29  “I do always those things that please him,”  and He never had to be chastised for disobedience as a child as the verse seems to be saying on the surface, but He had to become obedient through actual experience. He “became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross” (Philippians 2:8). That was the ultimate act of obedience and is past our human understanding yet even in this Jesus said  “nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done”(Luke 22:42)

In the same way I had to learn what obedience and living holy meant by actually walking this walk . In theory I had vast knowledge but in practice I had none. It took me twelve years after I got saved to learn how to put the drugs down for good after many falls, recoveries and restorations. I learned quickly to stop judging people and stick to judging sin. Not only recognizing other's sin but also my own sins. In the eleven years since then I have continued to "learn" obedience in what I know will be a life long education.

I was a child who was trying to run before I could walk. Like most children I learned "talk" first but I learned "walking" is more important.

         God Bless you all, Brother Darrell, Speaking Off The Wall






  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats right Bro Darrell sometimes you have to go back and think on the things that brought you over before moving on.