Sunday, February 26, 2012

Being There:The Ichabod Part Two

Praise the Lord! I pray everyone is enjoying God's blessing. I am a little disappointed today as I write this because I was not able to attend church today because of transportation issues. After a wonderful return to church last week this week I am unable to be with my church family. If you read my last post "The Ichabod" you might say to your self "why are you so eager to return to a church that is lacking the shekinah glory of God?"

The answer to this question is many fold, but number one is I want to be obedient to God and his word.
Hebrews 10:24+25 states
24And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 
25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

This scripture really covers it all. We as believers are commanded to come together in groups, which we have done down through the years. But more and more it seems we have forgotten why we should come together. Number one, church is not a social club! We don't go to show off or to observe the latest fashions. We don't go to hear or pass on the latest gossip. We are not there to showcase or show off the gifts that God gave us.
The word says we should come together to "exhort" one another. To exhort means to encourage, to spur on or to urge or persuade. That is why I try and press my way to church when I can because I have this urge or desire to encourage others to keep going in Christ, to hold onto His unchanging hand. I also want to be encouraged, encouraged to keep walking, keep striving and to stay under the burden that Jesus has given me because His burden is light.

We have the obligation as a church to be there for each other and for those that are lost, our gifts are not for record contracts or mega churches or mega money but for each other from the greatest to the least of us. When a crack head wonders into your church they are not interested in how good we sing, but the good we sing about. They are not interested in how good we preach but in the good we preach about. It's not the garment we wear on the outside that attracts but the Garment we wear on the inside that draws the people in and to Christ.

So Shekinah Glory or no Shekinah Glory, Ichabod or not, my responsibility is to gather together with my Brothers and sisters in Christ so that we can be there for each other. Sometimes I needed them and sometimes they needed me but most importantly we need each other and together we all need Jesus.

                                                        God bless you all, Brother Darrell, A Watchman


No comments: